THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 10, 2018
PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP IS ENSURING PATIENTS RECEIVE THE INFORMATION THEY NEED
TO SAVE MONEY ON PRESCRIPTION DRUGS
“We will work every day to ensure all Americans have access to the quality,
affordable medication they need and they deserve.” – President Donald J. Trump
HELPING PATIENTS SAVE MONEY: President Donald J. Trump is signing legislation to
help give patients more information to save on their prescription drugs.
* Gag clauses prevent pharmacists from telling patients when they would pay
less for drugs out of their own pocket instead of using their insurance.
* President Trump is signing legislation ending “gag clauses,” following
through on his promise to end these unfair clauses and help save patients
money on the drugs they need. * The President is signing the Know the Lowest Price Act and the Patient
Right to Know Drug Prices Act to end gag clauses for patients on Medicare
and private plans.
* The President’s blueprint for lowering drug prices and reducing
out-of-pocket costs called for an end to “gag clauses.”
LOWERING DRUG PRICES: The President is working to deliver savings for American
* President Trump has made lowering drug prices a priority for his
Administration and has taken action to achieve this goal.
* The Food and Drug Administration approved the most generic drug applications
ever in 2017. * These approvals saved patients an estimated $8.8 billion in 2017 alone.
* These savings are estimated to jump to $16 billion over one full year
after each generic approval in 2017.
* In May 2018, President Trump released an American Patients First blueprint to
lower drug prices and reduce out-of-pocket costs. * This blueprint laid out strategies for reform, including improved
competition, better negotiation, incentives for lower list prices, and
lowering out-of-pocket costs.
* Fifteen large drug manufacturers responded to the President’s blueprint by
announcing price freezes, reductions, and rollbacks.
* The Trump Administration finalized changes to Medicare’s payment rate for
certain drugs that will save seniors an estimated $320 million in drug costs
PROTECTING SENIORS’ HEALTHCARE: President Trump will fight against so-called
“Medicare for All” proposals that would take away benefits seniors have paid
into all their lives.
* While some have rallied around a proposal that would end Medicare as we know
it, President Trump will fight to ensure seniors receive the benefits into
which they have paid. * This proposal would lead to an extreme, anti-senior, anti-choice, and
anti-consumer government takeover of health care.
* This so-called “Medicare for All” proposal would establish a government run,
single-payer healthcare system that experts estimate would cost $32 trillion. * Even doubling taxes wouldn’t be enough to pay for this astonishing
* Supporters of “Medicare for All” would have no choice but to cut benefits,
raise economy-crippling taxes, or both to cover the massive cost * Many seniors would lose access to their favorite doctors and face long
lines for appointments and procedures.
* “Medicare for All” would eliminate Medicare Advantage plans for millions of
seniors and take away seniors’ options for private supplemental coverage.